The internet can be a weird place, and it’s only getting weirder as more and more people gain access. If your elderly relatives have started adding you on Facebook, you know what we’re talking about. But the surprises of the web don’t begin and end with your free-spirited aunt airing the family laundry online. The business side of the internet can be pretty surprising too, and if you know anything about social media marketing you know that social media statistics can be downright shocking.
It’s our job to stay on top of these stats and use our insights to shape a strategy that evolves with the web. So we monitor the trends, subscribe to our share of newsletters, set up media alerts and occasionally get our Google on. When we do, we discover some pretty crazy statistics. Here are a few of our favorites:
Surprising Facebook Facts
1. Over 5 million Facebook users are under the age of 10. This is despite the fact that the legal terms and conditions prohibit anyone under the age of 13 from using the site. So where are these kids' parents? According to Forbes, “95 percent of parents were aware their kids were using the service while 78 percent helped create the account.” Cool moms of the world, take note – helping your underage kid sign up for Facebook is the new letting your kid drink in the house. (Forbes)
2. Companies ignore 70% of Facebook questions. When Facebook fans post their questions online, only 30% of them receive answers. These are some pretty crazy statistics when you consider that connecting with consumers is kind of the whole point of having a brand presence on social media, but many social media marketing experts see this Facebook fact as an opportunity. If you're willing to engage customers when your competitors aren't, separating yourself from the pack becomes a lot easier. (Social Bakers)
3. Users spent $1.85 billion on virtual Facebook credits in 2012. At that price, we could have bought around 50 private islands and five $100 million yachts. Or, you know, a bajillion Farmville chickens. Looks like the people have spoken. (Wired)
4. Moms are the biggest supporters of branding on Facebook. If your brand isn't tapping into the mommy market, you're missing out. Keep this crazy statistic in mind: when they aren't tagging you in embarrassing childhood photos or questioning your relationship status, Facebook-friendly moms are liking brands more than any other group. (Mashable)
5. Facebook's population is almost 4 times greater than the USA's. Here’s a fun Facebook fact: the population of the U.S. is nearing 319 million — Facebook boasts over 1.59 billion users. If you've only gotten a hundred of these users to like your page, you may want to rethink your brand’s Facebook strategy. (Facebook)
6. Over 130 million Facebook users could be fake. The site has 1.23 billion monthly active users (MAUs), which means between 67.65 million and 137.76 million accounts are either duplicates or straight up fake. Something to keep in mind when measuring your social media marketing ROI — focus on engagement and traffic, not just follower counts. (VentureBeat)
Crazy Twitter Statistics
7. Democrats follow more Twitter accounts than Republicans. One study found that Democrats tended to follow more accounts on Twitter (about 78 on average) than Republicans (about 52). So if your brand is hoping to gain more followers, you may want to keep your tweets on the left side of the aisle. (LA Times)
8. Katy Perry is the Queen of Twitter. The pop star has over 89 million followers – about 9 million more than the entire population of Germany. That's 14 million more followers than Barack Obama. We think it probably has something to do with the outfits. Sorry, Mr. President.
9. Only 1/3 of active users on Twitter use the site every day. Out of 320 million MAUs, around 100 million log in daily — just another reason to use these helpful Twitter applications to continually reshare your content! (Securities and Exchange Commission)
10. The most retweeted tweet to date was a selfie. Of course, it wasn’t just any selfie. Ellen’s famous Oscar selfie was retweeted over 3.3 million times.
SnapChat Social Media Statistics
11. 70% of SnapChat users are female. This is one of those interesting facts about social media that female-targeting brands should keep in mind. (WSJ)
12. Daily SnapChat views increased 400% in a single year. From 2015-2016, daily video views on the SnapChat app rocketed from 8 billion to 10 billion. Does your brand have an official SnapChat account yet? If not, it’d behoove you to create one sooner rather than later. (Bloomberg)
13. It would take 158 years to watch just a day’s worth of SnapChat stories. SnapChat stories are about 10 seconds long on average and watching the 500 million that are uploaded in a single day would take quite some time. (mediakix)
Pinterest Social Media Statistics
14. Pinterest users spend twice as much as Facebook users. When Shopify analysed data from 25,000 online stores, they found that Pinterest users spend an average of $80 with each order — twice what they spend on Twitter and Facebook. (SocialTimes)
15. 44% of women on the internet use Pinterest. 44% of women online report being active users of Pinterest, compared to only 16% of men. Although this statistic gives Pinterest the largest gender divide of any of the social media giants, it's not altogether surprising – have you ever seen how many “dream wedding” boards there are on Pinterest? We expect to see more male-centric brands marketing with Pinterest soon, however. (PewResearchCenter)
16. 93% of pinners shopped online in the last 6 months. Looking to reach online shoppers? Consider pinning your products to reach more online shoppers. According to Pinterest, 93% of their users bought something online recently! (Pinterest)
Interesting Facts About Social Media Users
17. More people own a cell phone than a toothbrush. There are over 7 billion people in the world. An estimated 3.7 billion of them own mobile phones, but only around 3.5 billion own toothbrushes. We urge you not to use this stat as an excuse to spend your brushing time playing Draw Something instead. (Consumer Technology Association)
18. 91% of retail brands use at least two social media channels. Apparel brands are the most socially active, with an average of 5 channels used per brand. (SocialTimes)
19. There are nearly twice as many users on WhatsApp as on Instagram. Instagram boasts 430 million monthly users while the global messaging app WhatsApp hosts 950 million. (Socialnomics)
20. Every second, more than 500 hours of video is added to YouTube. How many of these hours of content feature sleepy kittens? Never enough. (ReelSEO)
21. It costs under $5,000 a month to have an expert manage all of your social media accounts. That’s Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Linkedin, Reddit and more! Check out our complete guide to the cost of social media marketing to learn more.
We hope you enjoyed some of these crazy social media statistics. These days it seems there’s an app born every minute, so we’re sure new, even more surprising insights are around the corner too. To stay up to date on the latest social media marketing stats and strategies, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
And let us know you’re out there by tweeting us your favorite social media marketing fact from this list (or send us a new one to add!).